Visit My Website, A Personal Gallery!


Click on Logo Bar Below, to visit my website!


Monday, December 20, 2010

Trice Edging!

Time, these days, is so precious to all of us! Even I am looking at ways to create the same level of quality loom weaving within a shorter amount of precious time! I want to share a technique I have been perfecting for a while, "Trice Edging"! This method allows you to 'weave and edge' at the 'same time'! Below are the steps in pictures.

String your loom as you would start any new loom project, warping one thread more then the number of beads wide. Now string on a good number of edging beads, or 5 more than the number of rows to weave, an 11/0 round, not tubular like a Delica. This type of bead lays much nicer for this simple line edge. You will want to thread 5 or so more number of beads than the rows you plan to weave. These can be added after the initial warps are strung or string the beads first and warp the loom with the two extra warps stacked with beads.

Attach your weft to the outside warp of your bead row, not the same thread holding your edging beads. Weave the first row as if the two outside warps with beads are not there!

Just after exiting this row, slide an edge bead up and run your needle inside, towards you.

Now add the next number of beads needed to weave the next row, in this case there are ten beads creating this narrow banding.

Before turning your needle upwards and running it back inside the same row of beads, above the warps (the usual loom weaving methods), pick up another edge bead from the other side.

Now you can continue the loom weaving technique of going back through the row of beads, keeping your needle above the warps.

When you exit on the starting side, pick up another edge bead, just as you did in the first step described. Continue weaving these steps until you reach the desired length of weave you need.

This Trice Edging Style, creates a simple edge with the edge beads sitting on their sides. This also finishes the weave to a classic look, no holes or threads showing!


I have many other variations of this same method, creating edges much more intricate then this. In the meantime, you can experiment with adding more or less beads and additional warps full of beads! If you plan on creating a scalloped type edge, you'll need to keep those warps free for movement as the warp threads will be used up or longer, than what you attach to the loom.

18 comments:

  1. This is simple clever!!! Wow, As soon as I start again looming I will try this technique, I usually begin to cry when it comes to edging and finishing the threads!!!
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear you say this! I can't wait to share my other techniques which also eliminate the warps! Pull out that loom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so looking forward to your book. you have the best explanation of looming and various methods that i've read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I sometime feel like it is never done, because I am adding more and rearranging so much I am driving them crazy!! My hopes are to keep it all in one book....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mind is officially boggled. I discovered this blog recently and am reading them from oldest to newest so I can learn as much information as I can. I'm beginning to think I should dust off my Starry Night piece and finally finish it. (I haven't touched the thing since I was a sophomore in high school. Six years.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! I'm new to using a loom and this level of help being available stops it being too scary. Love the edging. Can't wait for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank your for sharing. Very nice and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow--great idea and thanks so much for sharing. I will have to look for your book to be published.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank yoy very much!
    I will try this)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the edging! I'm new to loom beading and am excited to start. I love this idea. I need to start with the first step. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Post! but how and when do you add the edge bead to the first row where you attached the weft? and do you add end end the weft the same way you are used too?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much for this blog wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is 2015 and I just recently discovered you. Am I correct to assume the book is published ??? I want one asap. My one disappointment, I bought a loom from you but was never told about the smaller size. Had I known, I would have purchased 2 @$70 rather than the one larger one. Bummer.I am currently working on my first project, the Remembrance Poppy Cuff. I downloaded the pattern but it is not vivid. I am trying to see a copy of the cuff I fell in love with but it is nowhere on your website. Needless to say, I am into instant gratification. lol When can I buy the book???????????

    ReplyDelete